Ellis Avenue Church currently has a sizable group of youth and children that attend our service. In fact, often one-third of our congregation for worship on Sundays is under 25 years of age. We recognize that the young people are an amazing gift and we encourage them to participate in all aspects of our service.
Ellis has several specific programs to meet the spiritual and educational needs of the young people in our community.
For middle school and high school students we offer:
- Generations of Praise
Youth are welcome to participate in our church choir – Generations of Praise .
- Bible Study
Held from 6:30 p.m – 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday evenings, our intergenerational Bible study focuses on issues of Christian discipleship and basic Biblical literacy.
- Youth Sundays
Twice per year we have special worship services, where all aspects of the service are led by children and youth. These Youth Sunday services often include songs by the youth choir, a praise dance or mime, poetry, and a sermon preached by one of our current college or high school students.
- Youth Mentoring Program
When young people reach 5th grade, they are assigned an adult mentor in the congregation. Mentors are encouraged to plan an activity with their youth several times per year. We also schedule large group mentoring outings where all of our mentor/mentee pairs go together to do a large group activity. Large group mentoring outings often include trips to baseball games, movies, or a trip to the Sweet Sounds of Gospel Choir Competition.
For the youngest children among us we offer:
- Children’s Church: A more traditional Sunday School program including Bible stories and arts and crafts, for kids ages 4-9 that takes place during the final half of the worship service (children are released for Children’s Church prior to the sermon).
- Children’s Choir: Once a month, our children learn music during the Children’s Church time and share a choral benediction to the worship service.
- Opportunities for elementary school kids to participate in the worship service by reading scripture or the call to worship and even offering our opening prayer.
- A fully staffed nursery for children 0-3 years old.
- Two, free week-long programs each summer : Vacation Bible School and Peace Camp.
- In addition to the programs outlined above, the church supports the STRIVE after-school tutoring program and summer day camp that is housed in our church building . Read more about this church ministry.